vicarbrench: (Farewell)
[personal profile] vicarbrench
A couple posts ago (Feb 1st) I mentioned that the pump organ broke.  Well today I fixed it!

Got some duck cloth from a friend, took apart a few pieces to replace the old ripped canvas, and voila!

Oh right, details, yes.  The way these old things work is that you pump two foot-pedals which control the bellows which blows air through the pipes.  A canvas strip connects the pedal to the bellows (going around an axel to get the angle right), and it was one of those that had ripped nearly a month ago.  At first I couldn't figure out how to get to where the canvas connected to the bellows, so I thought I wasn't going to be able to repair it.

But finally last week I plucked up the courage to pull out a U-nail  that held one of the rollers in place, and found that I had perfect access to the bellows end of the ripped canvas!  There was just enough room for me to unscrew the block holding down the canvas, and attach a new one.

I guess this would all make more sense if I provided pictures, but alas, I didn't think to catalog this process at all.  I'm not much of a camera-at-home person to begin with, and I was a tad too excited about the possibility of solving this problem to stop to think how I could share this victory with others.

Amazing that the only things I needed throughout this whole process was a flat-head screwdriver and a replacement strip of cloth.  It's so much less complicated than electronics... so refreshing to have a piece of technology that I can actually begin to understand and repair.

Profile

vicarbrench: (Default)
vicarbrench

April 2017

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16 17 1819202122
23242526272829
30      

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated 21 September 2017 15:58
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios